Movie Quotes: Forrest Gump

My mama always said life
was like a box of chocolates.
You never know what you're gonna get.
- Forrest

Mama always said there's an awful lot
you could tell about a person
by their shoes:
Where they're going,
where they've been.
- Forrest

Don't ever let anybody tell you
they're better than you, Forrest.
If God intended everybody
to be the same,
He'd have given us all braces on our legs.
- Mrs. Gump

"Mama always had a way of explaining things
so I could understand them."
- Forrest

Now, my mama always told me
that miracles happen every day.
Some people don't think so, but they do.
- Forrest

You know, it's funny
how you remember some things,
but some things you can't.
- Forrest

Remember what I told you, Forrest.
You're no different than anybody else is.
Did you hear what I said, Forrest?
You're the same as everybody else.
You are no different.
- Mrs. Gump

What does "normal" mean, anyway?
He might be a bit on the slow side,
but my boy Forrest is gonna get
the same opportunities
as everyone else.
- Mrs. Gump

"She was my most special friend.
My only friend.
- Forrest

Don't you just love New Year's?
You get to start all over.
Everybody gets a second chance.
- Lenore

"I guess Lieutenant Dan figured
there's some things you just can't change.
He didn't want to be called crippled,
just like I didn't want to be called stupid."
- Forrest

Mrs. Blue: Are you crazy, or just plain stupid?
Forrest: Stupid is as stupid does, Mrs. Blue.
Mrs. Blue: I guess.

... Mama says it's just a little white lie
so it wouldn't hurt nobody.
- Forrest

"Since people still needed them shrimps
for shrimp cocktails
and barbecues and all,
and we were the only boat left standing,"
Bubba-Gump Shrimp's what they got.
We got a whole bunch of boats, 12 Jennys,
a big old warehouse. We even have hats
that say "Bubba-Gump" on them.
Bubba-Gump Shrimp. It's a household name.
- Forrest

Well, I thought it was a very lovely story,
and you tell it so well,
with such enthusiasm.
- Elderly Southern Woman

Forrest: Why are you dying, Mama?
Mrs. Gump: It's my time.
It's just my time.
Now, don't you be afraid, sweetheart.
Death is just a part of life,
something we're all destined to do.
I didn't know it,
but I was destined to be your mama.
I did the best I could.
Forrest: You did good, Mama.
Mrs. Gump: Well, I happen to believe
you make your own destiny.
You have to do the best
with what God gave you.
Forrest: What's my destiny, Mama?
Mrs. Gump: You're going to have
to figure that out for yourself.
Life is a box of chocolates, Forrest.
You never know what you're gonna get.
Forrest: "Mama always had a way of explaining things
so I could understand them."

I'm not a smart man.
But I know what love is.
- Forrest

Forrest: "That day, for no particular reason,
I decided to go for a little run.
So, I ran to the end of the road,
and when I got there,
I thought maybe I'd run
to the end of town."
And when I got there
I thought maybe I'd just run
across Greenbow County.
And I figured since I'd run this far,
maybe I'd just run across
the great state of Alabama.
And that's what I did.
I ran clear across Alabama.
For no particular reason,
I just kept on going.
I ran clear to the ocean.
And when I got there,
I figured since I'd gone this far,
might as well turn around
and just keep on going.
And when I got to another ocean,
I figured since I'd gone this far,
I might as well turn back
and keep right on going.
When I got tired, I slept.
When I got hungry, I ate.
When I had to go, you know...
I went.
Elderly Southern Woman: And so you just ran.
Forrest: Yeah

Reporter 1: Are you doing this for world peace?
Reporter 2: Are you doing this for the homeless?
Reporter 1: Are you running for women's rights?
Reporter 3: Or for the environment?
Reporter 4: Or for animals?
"They just couldn't believe that somebody
would do all that running
for no particular reason."
Reporter 2: Why are you doing this?
Forrest: I just felt like running."

Now, for some reason, what I was doing
seemed to make sense to people.
- Forrest

Bumper sticker man: Whoa, man! You just ran through
a big pile of dog shit!
Forrest: It happens.
Bumper sticker man: What, shit?
Forrest: Sometimes.

My mama always said,
"You got to put the past behind you
before you can move on."
And I think that's what my running
was all about.
- Forrest

"Sometimes it would stop raining long enough
for the stars to come out.
And then it was nice."
- Forrest

"There was always
a million sparkles on the water.
Like that mountain lake.
It was so clear, Jenny,
it looked like there were two skies,
one on top of the other."
And then, in the desert,
when the sun comes up,
"I couldn't tell where heaven stopped
and the earth began.
It was so beautiful."
- Forrest

No comments: